Bandh called by lawyers in Western Odisha
Sambalpur: Normal life was paralysed following closure of shops and disruption of rail and road traffic during a bandh called by lawyers in Western Odisha on Thursday demanding establishment of a permanent bench of the High Court in the region.
Shops and business establishments were closed, while train services and vehicular traffic were disrupted in the region during the dawn-to-dusk shut-down called by All Western Odisha Lawyers Association Central Action Committee (CAC).
Educational institutions, government offices, judicial courts, banks and financial establishments also remained closed in western Odisha districts including Sambalpur, Sundergarh, Jharsuguda, Deogarh, Bargarh, Subarnapur and Nuapada where bandh supporters staged demonstrations.
A large number of passengers were stranded at different railway stations and bus stands due to blockade at Sambalpur and other places by bandh supporters which led to cancellation of Sambalpur-Rayagada Inter-city Express, Sambalpur-Puri Inter-city Express and Sambalpur-Jharsuguda DMU trains, official sources said.
About four other trains were delayed due to the bandh which remained peaceful with no untoward incident reported from any place, a senior police official said.
Major political parties are supporting the demand for establishment of permanent bench of Orissa High Court in the region.
"Now we expect Odisha government to take steps to recommend to the Union Government for establishment of High Court Bench in western region," said Niranjan Tripathy, Secretary of Central Action Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof