Bear mauls three villagers, devours most body parts
Deogarh: Three persons including two women were mauled by a wild bear in a forest in Odisha`s Deogarh district, official sources said here on Saturday.
Two women of Panibhandar village had gone to nearby Balipatia forests to collect forest produces on Thursday when they were attacked by the wild bear.
As they did not return home, a group of villagers went into the woods in search of the duo yesterday and spotted the bear devouring their body parts, said Ramakanta Mishra, Divisional Forest Officer (DFO), Deogarh.
The bear then turned its ire on to the villagers and chased them. While the group managed to flee, one Chaitanya Sahu among them, climbed up a tree in his desperate attempt to save himself from the wrath of the animal, Mishra said.
Finding another prey, the bear climbed the tree and also killed him before devouring his body, he said.
After being informed of the incident, forest and police personnel rushed to the spot today and found the three bodies bereft of most organs, Mishra said.
Post-mortem was conducted on the bodies at the district hospital here even as the incident created a sense of fear and panic in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre