Beauty contest cancelled in view of Bajrang/VHP protest
Berhampur: A Beauty Pageant has been
cancelled here after protestors, allegedly Bajrang Dal
activists, ransacked the venue.
Just before commencement of the show to chose "Miss
Berhampur", slogan shouting protestors came in a procession
and damaged the ramp and set the banner on fire yesterday.
"There is nothing wrong in holding such a contest as the
contestants were wearing Indian costumes", a coordinator of
the show told mediapersons present at the venue.
"In the screening test, we had rejected several
contestants because they did not follow the dress code
prescribed by us", he said.
The protestors claimed they opposed the beauty pageant as
"it is against Indian culture and tradition".
"We have the highest regard for women in Indian culture
and such shows are certainly disrespectful to them", Ramakant
Rath, a Bajrang Dal leader said.
Police, however, said that they had not received any
complaint in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery