Beauty contest cancelled in view of Bajrang/VHP protest
Berhampur: A Beauty Pageant has been
cancelled here after protestors, allegedly Bajrang Dal
activists, ransacked the venue.
Just before commencement of the show to chose "Miss
Berhampur", slogan shouting protestors came in a procession
and damaged the ramp and set the banner on fire yesterday.
"There is nothing wrong in holding such a contest as the
contestants were wearing Indian costumes", a coordinator of
the show told mediapersons present at the venue.
"In the screening test, we had rejected several
contestants because they did not follow the dress code
prescribed by us", he said.
The protestors claimed they opposed the beauty pageant as
"it is against Indian culture and tradition".
"We have the highest regard for women in Indian culture
and such shows are certainly disrespectful to them", Ramakant
Rath, a Bajrang Dal leader said.
Police, however, said that they had not received any
complaint in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official