Beauty contest cancelled in view of Bajrang/VHP protest
Berhampur: A Beauty Pageant has been
cancelled here after protestors, allegedly Bajrang Dal
activists, ransacked the venue.
Just before commencement of the show to chose "Miss
Berhampur", slogan shouting protestors came in a procession
and damaged the ramp and set the banner on fire yesterday.
"There is nothing wrong in holding such a contest as the
contestants were wearing Indian costumes", a coordinator of
the show told mediapersons present at the venue.
"In the screening test, we had rejected several
contestants because they did not follow the dress code
prescribed by us", he said.
The protestors claimed they opposed the beauty pageant as
"it is against Indian culture and tradition".
"We have the highest regard for women in Indian culture
and such shows are certainly disrespectful to them", Ramakant
Rath, a Bajrang Dal leader said.
Police, however, said that they had not received any
complaint in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea