Beauty contest cancelled in view of Bajrang/VHP protest
Berhampur: A Beauty Pageant has been
cancelled here after protestors, allegedly Bajrang Dal
activists, ransacked the venue.
Just before commencement of the show to chose "Miss
Berhampur", slogan shouting protestors came in a procession
and damaged the ramp and set the banner on fire yesterday.
"There is nothing wrong in holding such a contest as the
contestants were wearing Indian costumes", a coordinator of
the show told mediapersons present at the venue.
"In the screening test, we had rejected several
contestants because they did not follow the dress code
prescribed by us", he said.
The protestors claimed they opposed the beauty pageant as
"it is against Indian culture and tradition".
"We have the highest regard for women in Indian culture
and such shows are certainly disrespectful to them", Ramakant
Rath, a Bajrang Dal leader said.
Police, however, said that they had not received any
complaint in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr