Bhandare completes 5-yr tenure as Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: After completing his five-year tenure as Odisha Governor on Monday, Muralidhar Chandrakant Bhandare will continue till appointment of his successor, Raj Bhavan sources said.
Bhandare, who was appointed as the 43rd governor of Odisha on August 21, 2007, said he was happy to serve in the post and to receive love and affection of the people.
"The people of Odisha are peace-loving and happy in spite of their poverty. You cannot find such happy people elsewhere in India," an emotional Bhandare told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Describing Odisha as rich in culture and mineral resources, Bhandare said he was optimistic to see the state as a prosperous region of the country.
"I am hopeful that the state`s literacy percentage will touch 90 per cent by 2017 and Odisha would emerge as a prosperous state," the Governor said.
Till appointment of a successor, the Governor will continue in his present post, the sources said.
Bhandare, who during his tenure had introduced the Governor`s Trophy at the district and state levels, said his aim was to further promote the rich culture and tradition of the state.
"The winners of the trophy will come from block to district and finally to state level for their contribution to music, dance and folk culture," he said.
Bhandare had also launched `Gyanalok` programme for universities where the students are urged to visit remote areas, preferably tribal districts, to ensure students brought back to schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video