Bhandare completes 5-yr tenure as Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: After completing his five-year tenure as Odisha Governor on Monday, Muralidhar Chandrakant Bhandare will continue till appointment of his successor, Raj Bhavan sources said.
Bhandare, who was appointed as the 43rd governor of Odisha on August 21, 2007, said he was happy to serve in the post and to receive love and affection of the people.
"The people of Odisha are peace-loving and happy in spite of their poverty. You cannot find such happy people elsewhere in India," an emotional Bhandare told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Describing Odisha as rich in culture and mineral resources, Bhandare said he was optimistic to see the state as a prosperous region of the country.
"I am hopeful that the state`s literacy percentage will touch 90 per cent by 2017 and Odisha would emerge as a prosperous state," the Governor said.
Till appointment of a successor, the Governor will continue in his present post, the sources said.
Bhandare, who during his tenure had introduced the Governor`s Trophy at the district and state levels, said his aim was to further promote the rich culture and tradition of the state.
"The winners of the trophy will come from block to district and finally to state level for their contribution to music, dance and folk culture," he said.
Bhandare had also launched `Gyanalok` programme for universities where the students are urged to visit remote areas, preferably tribal districts, to ensure students brought back to schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra