Bhandare completes 5-yr tenure as Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: After completing his five year tenure as Odisha Governor on Monday, Muralidhar Chandrakant Bhandare will continue till appointment of his successor, Raj Bhavan sources said.
Bhandare, who was appointed as the 43rd governor of Odisha on August 21, 2007, said he was happy to serve in the post and to receive love and affection of the people.
"The people of Odisha are peace-loving and happy inspite of their poverty. You can not find such happy people elsewhere in India," an emotional Bhandare told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Describing Odisha as rich in culture and mineral resources, Bhandare said he was optimistic to see the state as a prosperous region of the country.
"I am hopeful that the state`s literacy percentage will touch 90 per cent by 2017 and Odisha would emerge as a prosperous state," the governor said.
Till appointment of a successor, the Governor will continue in his present post, the sources said.
Bhandare, who during his tenure had introduced the Governor`s Trophy at the district and state levels, said his aim was to further promote the rich culture and tradition of the state. "The winners of the trophy will come from block to district and finally to state level for their contribution to music, dance and folk culture," he said.
Bhandare had also launched `Gyanalok` programme for universities where the students are urged to visit remote areas, preferably tribal districts, to ensure students brought back to schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly