Bharat Bandh: Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The movement of trains and commercial vehicles was hit in several parts of Odisha on Thursday as the shutdown against the hike in petrol prices, called by various parties, including the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), came into effect.
Protesters blocked roads and highways in several areas and disrupted traffic.
Train services were also hit as protesters squatted on rail tracks at the Cuttack and Bhubaneswar railway stations. Similar protests have also been reported from other parts of the state, a senior state police official told a news agency.
"There has been no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state so far. The protests have started on a peaceful note," he added.
The state units of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Left parties are organising separate protests across the state.
The BJD has also called for a statewide shutdown against the petrol price hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug