Bharat Bandh: Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The movement of trains and commercial vehicles was hit in several parts of Odisha on Thursday as the shutdown against the hike in petrol prices, called by various parties, including the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), came into effect.
Protesters blocked roads and highways in several areas and disrupted traffic.
Train services were also hit as protesters squatted on rail tracks at the Cuttack and Bhubaneswar railway stations. Similar protests have also been reported from other parts of the state, a senior state police official told a news agency.
"There has been no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state so far. The protests have started on a peaceful note," he added.
The state units of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Left parties are organising separate protests across the state.
The BJD has also called for a statewide shutdown against the petrol price hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death