Bhoi made leader of Congress Legislature Party in Odisha
New Delhi: Three time MLA Surendra Singh Bhoi was on Saturday made Leader of Congress Legislature Party in Odisha, after incumbent Bhupinder Singh quit the party.
Bhoi was made Leader of the Opposition close on the heels of Bhupinder Singh joining the ruling BJD along with CLP secretary Anup Sai.
Bhoi is a three-term MLA representing Titalagarh in Bolangir district.
His name was approved by party chief Sonia Gandhi and the appointment has been made with immediate effect, AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Reports from Bhubaneshwar had it that Singh`s resignation has sent shock waves in political circles in the state, the change began to be felt earlier. Kamala Das, a senior woman leader from Balasore district also quit Congress barely two days ago.
The BJD has claimed that "mass exodus" of senior leaders from the state`s main opposition party is likely to continue.
Congress is in the opposition in Odisha for the last 15 years since BJD led by Naveen Patnaik ousted it from power.
Assembly polls in the state are being held along with the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened