Bhoi made leader of Congress Legislature Party in Odisha
New Delhi: Three time MLA Surendra Singh Bhoi was on Saturday made Leader of Congress Legislature Party in Odisha, after incumbent Bhupinder Singh quit the party.
Bhoi was made Leader of the Opposition close on the heels of Bhupinder Singh joining the ruling BJD along with CLP secretary Anup Sai.
Bhoi is a three-term MLA representing Titalagarh in Bolangir district.
His name was approved by party chief Sonia Gandhi and the appointment has been made with immediate effect, AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Reports from Bhubaneshwar had it that Singh`s resignation has sent shock waves in political circles in the state, the change began to be felt earlier. Kamala Das, a senior woman leader from Balasore district also quit Congress barely two days ago.
The BJD has claimed that "mass exodus" of senior leaders from the state`s main opposition party is likely to continue.
Congress is in the opposition in Odisha for the last 15 years since BJD led by Naveen Patnaik ousted it from power.
Assembly polls in the state are being held along with the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you