Bhubaneswar to face power cut this summer
Bhubaneswar: Central Electricity Supply Utility of Odisha (CESU) providing electricity services to about 16 lakh consumers in coastal districts including in the state capital, today announced to go for power cut in this summer.
"CESU has decided to restrict power supply to people in loss making feeders. Hence, there will be daily three hour power restriction in the feeders where there is more than 60 per cent loss and 2 hours restriction in the feeders where loss is in between 60 to 50 percent," an official release issued by the power distribution company said.
CESU provides electricity in the districts of Angu, Dhenkanal, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Puri, Khurda, Nayagarh, Cuttack and part of Jajpur in the state.
Similarly, the load restriction will be for one hour in the feeder where the loss percentage is 40 to 50 per cent. "There will be no power restriction in the feeders having less than 40 per cent loss," it said.
CESU, however, said that the power restriction time will be lessen with the proportionate decrease in loss percentage in the feeders.
Justifying its decision, CESU said that during the financial year 2012-13, CESU has incurred an average 41 per cent of ATC loss. In Low Tension sector, there were some feeders where the loss level is more than 70 per cent. CESU bills only 50 per cent of the input power supplied to LT consumers, it said.
As per calculation, the power distribution company pointed out 1 per cent loss in CESU means cash loss of Rs 30 crore for which yearly loss is Rs 1200 crore. In most of the time, CESU is not able to paying monthly power purchase bill of GRIDCO, the state`s bulk power supplier.
This apart, the power input to CESU is increasing due to uncontrolled situation in theft and misuse of power, it said adding that the only alternative left with company is to go for power restriction in loss making feeders in CESU area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal