Bid to kidnap DRDO scientist from court foiled
Cuttack: A Defense Research and Development Organization scientist escaped a kidnap bid from the premises of a family court when he came to attend counselling for his divorce suit on Wednesday.
Lawyers and onlookers came to the rescue of the Hyderabad-based Odia scientist Sadananda Behera when he was dragged into a vehicle and beaten up by its occupants, including his estranged wife.
The scientist said it was a kidnap attempt by goons set up by his wife and father-in-law.
His wife Nandita Sethy, the daughter of a police ASI counter alleged that she was tortured by her husband demanding more dowry.
The scientist and his wife were taken to the police station for questioning, but no case was registered and they were let off as there was no formal complaint, Lalbag police inspector Jayanta Mohapatra said.
According to the police the 28-year-old Sadananda from Angul district married 25-year-old Nandita of Bhadrak district married in March 2011, but relations soured subsequently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway