Bills to decriminalise politics sent to Parliament
Bhubaneswar: A Biju Janata Dal MP on Tuesday submitted three private member`s bills in parliament seeking decriminalisation of politics.
Baijayant `Jay` Panda, a Lok Sabha member from Odisha`s Kendrapada constituency, submitted the bills.
"It removes the exemption given to sitting members of parliament and members of state legislatures who have been convicted of criminal offences," Panda`s office said in a statement.
"Even though setting the system right will require significant investment and political will in the long term, lasting changes can be effected if the roots of the problem are attacked in the short term," the statement said.
"This trend is highly demoralising for the public and it reduces their trust in the system. To convince the public of the pursuit of justice, judicial reforms must begin with the de-criminalisation of politics," Panda was cited as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets