Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds
Bhubaneswar: Veterinarians and state officials Thursday began culling poultry birds in parts of Odisha`s Khordha district after bird flu was detected in the area.
District Collector Roopa Mishra said the culling operation was started in Keranga area early morning and is likely to continue for a few days. "We will cover about eight villages today," Mishra said.
She said there has been no report of the infection spreading to humans and no one should panic. The decision was taken after the recommendation made by a team of experts who visited the area Wednesday.
The government had recently sent samples of hundreds of birds, mostly crows and poultry, to the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) in Bhopal, after hundreds of crows died in some parts of Odisha last fortnight.
The tests confirmed that a chicken of the Keranga area was infected with the deadly H5N1 virus.
Satyabrata Sahu, secretary of the fishery and animal resources department, said the culling of about 40,000 birds would be carried out by 10 teams comprising 80 officials in and around a three km-radius of Keranga village.
Authorities have asked all 30 districts to remain alert. Officials at the Chilika Lake and Bhitarkanika wildlife sanctuary have been told to keep a watch as they are home to lakhs of winter migratory birds and could easily spread infection over a large area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city