BJD activist arrested for disfiguring national flag
Bhubaneswar: A ruling BJD activist was
Wednesday arrested on the charge of disfiguring the national flag at the party`s foundation day celebration where Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was present.
"We have arrested Janakar Sahu, a BJD activist, who had
allegedly disfigured the tri-colour by erasing Ashok Chakra
and writing his party`s name on it in Oriya letters," a police
Sahu had handed over the "disfigured" flag to Patnaik
at the function held to celebrate the 14th foundation day of
the party here on December 26.
Janakar, however, claimed that he had not committed
any mistake knowingly. "I was not aware that it was the
national flag," he said.
"I had no intention to disrespect the national flag.
In fact, I had saved the flag from being burnt at the funeral
of former chief minister Biju Patnaik in 1997," Sahu, who was
picked up by the police for questioning from his house last
Police had received three written compaints from as
many persons on the alleged insult to the national flag at the
BJD`s function on December 27.
They swung into action only after one of the complainants moved a local court seeking its intervention
"I filed a case at the court of the sub-divisional
judicial magistrate (SDJM), Bhubaneswar as the police did not
take any action even 36 hours of receiving complaints," said
Dipti Ranjan Mohanty, President of Orissa Lok Dal, a fringe
In his petition, Mohanty had accused the chief
minister and four other state ministers of insulting the
BJD`s local MLA Bhagirathi Badajena, who was also
present at the function, however, admitted that it was a
"blunder" to disfigure the national flag. "The person
responsible for the act should be punished under provision of
the Flag Code of India, 2002," Badajena said.
Patnaik had earlier said "as far as I am concerned
there is absolutely no question of showing any disrespect to
our national flag."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!