BJD attempts to embarrass Rahul, tribal leader does a u-turn
Lanjigarh: A tribal leader, who
had earlier sought support of Rahul Gandhi for anti-Vedanata
agitation, today did a u-turn by coming out in favour of the
mining project and said the community needed industries and
education and not the Congress leader.
"I don`t understand how Rahul Gandhi can be a
`sipahi` for tribals in Delhi. He has not provided a school or
a job for any tribal. How can he protect interest of
tribals?," 22-year-old Jitu Jakesia, belonging to Dangaria
Kandha tribe, said addressing a rally of the youth wing of the
ruling BJD which has blamed the Centre for stopping Vedanta`s
mining project at Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi district.
The jibe at the Congress leader who had said at a
rally here last month that he would be their `soldier` in
Delhi was seen as an attempt by the ruling party to embarass
Jitu, who first met Gandhi in March 2008 here as a
leader of the anti-Vedanta agitation, claimed he had committed
a mistake by reposing faith on politicians and NGOs.
"We (tribals) need industries and education, not Rahul
Gandhi," Jitu, the first Dangaria Kandha tribal who received a
bachelor degree in business administration (BBA), said.
"Dangaria Kandhas need not live in the hills forever.
They must be educated and provided jobs like others," he said.
Jitua also claimed that bauxite mining would not cause
much damage to forests and ecology as projected. "I have
visited Nalco`s bauxite mining area. I have seen that not much
damage is being caused by mining," he said.
The fate of the controversial Vedanta`s bauxite mining
project at the Niyamgiri hills was sealed with the Union
Environment Ministry rejecting it recently, saying that forest
laws had been violated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test