BJD-Cong clash in Assembly
Bhubaneswar: Heated exchanges and a scuffle erupted between BJD and Congress members in Odisha Assembly on Tuesday over alleged manhandling of farmers outside the chief minister`s residence and cut in allocation for the state in Railway budget leading to repeated adjournments.
Trouble broke out during zero hour after BJD MLA Pradeep Maharathy drew the Chair`s attention to Railways slashing allocation for the state.
Opposition Congress members rushed to the Well of the house shouting anti-government slogans and alleged that farmers were manhandled by the police yesterday while staging demonstration in front of the residence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
At this the BJD MLAs too were on their feet to oppose the charge and in the din that followed nothing could be heard.
The situation turned volatile when Maharathy too rushed to the Well followed by Pradip Panigrahi, Rajendra Das and other BJD MLAs and had a mild tussle with the Congress legislators.
In view of the heated situation, Speaker Pradip Amat adjourned the house first till 12.30 PM and then again till 3 PM. When the house reassembled at 3 PM, similar situation prevailed and was adjourned for the day.
Unable to raise the railway budget issue due to the din in the House, BJD MLAs later sat on a dharna near Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in the assembly premises.
"It is shocking that the police dragged agitating
farmers on the road to remove them from the main gate of the CM`s residence," Congress whip Prasad Harichandan told reporters outside the House.
"The government is shedding crocodile tears for farmers. Police assaulted them (farmers) in front of the CM`s house yesterday," Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh alleged.
He demanded an all party meeting to review allocations made by UPA government and previous NDA regime to Railways. "We are ready to go to Delhi with BJD members to put pressure on the Centre."
BJP legislative party leader KV Singhdeo blamed both the state government and the Centre for inadequate funds for Railway projects in Odisha. "State government should not confine itself to writing letters. It must visit Delhi and hold talks."
Meanwhile, the 60 farmers who had been taken into custody for their demonstration outside Patnaik`s residence Naveen Niwas in the early hours yesterday, were granted bail by a local court during the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’