BJD, Congress to organise padayatra to reach people
Bhubaneswar: The Gandhi Jayanti on Wednesday provided an opportunity to Odisha`s two major political parties- the ruling BJD and opposition Congress, to organise `padayatra` to reach the people ahead of the 2014 general elections.
The ruling BJD has launched a statewide padayatra programme coinciding with Gandhi Jayanti celebrations while the Congress has decided to start its drive in this month.
BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik kicked off the mass contact drive in the name of "Jan Sampark Padayatra" at Unit-VI in the city today.
BJD`s padyatra would culminate on October 11 marking the birth anniversary of Jay Prakash Narayan.
The aim of the programme was to make people aware of the achievements of BJD government during the past 13 years and to inform people about the central negligence towards Odisha, a senior BJD leader said.
Similarly, the State Congress has decided to retaliate the ruling party through a similar programme by launching a padayatra this month.
"The party will launch a 33-day state wide padayatra, which will begin from Laxmananath of Mayurbhanj and to culminate at Girisola covering a distance of 500 km," OPCC president Jaydev Jena said.
The party men will inform people during the padayatra that how the Naveen Patnaik government failed to utilise the central funds properly and to tackle poverty in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!