BJD councillor resigns to protest eviction
Rourkela: A ruling BJD Councillor of
Rourkela Municipality has resigned from the party to protest
the ongoing encroachment eviction drive in Uditnagar area.
The administration with the help of police force
removed several structures, petty business houses and
residents of the busy Uditnagar area.
Nirakara Lenka, a councillor of Ward No 17 had been
protesting the eviction demanding proper rehabilitation before
enforcing eviction of the poor people.
"Hundreds of people with their family members have
become homeless and jobless," Lenka said alleging that the
party and the administration should have taken initiative to
rehabilitate the poor people.
Lenka sent his resignation letter to BJD`s district
unit president Ananda Mohanty on Tuesday.
Earlier, Lenka was removed from the ward president
post of the party which looked after the development of Ward
No 14 to 22. In his place the party entrusted Prasanna
Senapati, for which Lenka was unhappy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!