BJD distributing cash among voters in BMC poll: Jena
Bhubaneswar: Alleging extensive use of money by ruling BJD in
Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) polls being held today, senior Congress leader and Union Minister Srikant Jena said distribution of cash for votes posed a serious threat to democracy.
"The way money is being used to buy votes has posed a serious challenge and threat to the very fabric of democracy," the union minister for chemicals and fertilisers told reporters here.
"While BJD workers openly and blatantly distributed cash among the voters in different wards in the urban body area, the state election commission remained a helpless and mute spectator," he alleged.
Jena said that the use of money power by the ruling BJD has not only brought to the fore the role of black money in the election but also ruined the entire poll process.
The Union Minister`s remark came a day after Congress formally lodged a complaint against BJD with the state election commission that it was distributing cash among voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!