BJD dubs Chidambaram`s statement as shocking, unfortunate
Bhubaneswar: Terming as shocking and unfortunate Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s reported statement favouring special category status to Bihar before report of a sub-committee, ruling BJD on Monday accused Congress of working against the interest of Odisha.
"As far as I know (about) backwardness of Bihar, I am sure it will qualify to be a special category state by the sub-committee to be appointed under the chairmanship of Raghurama G Rajan," BJD vice-president and Panchayati Raj Minister Kalpataru Das quoted Chidambaram as having said.
The statement was made by Chidambaram at Patna Airport on May 11, Das told reporters here.
Chidambaram has not spoken a word about Odisha, he lamented.
"With the sub-committee not constituted, criteria for backwardness not fixed, such a statement is like announcing the result before preparing questions for examination. This is nothing but politically motivated," Das said.
Stating that BJD had been demanding special category state status from several years, he claimed Congress did not say a word before the Centre on this issue in the past.
He said when BJD is busy agitating and undertaking a signature campaign to get special status for Odisha, Congress with a view to suppressing its failure has initiated a design to blame Naveen Patnaik and BJD by allegation of corruption.
"Congress is committed to weaken Odisha by depriving it of its due share," Das alleged at a media conference with party`s chief whip in assembly Pravat Tripathy and BJD youth wing chief Sanjay Dasburma on his side.
BJD`s statement against Chidambaram came a day after OPCC president Niranjan Patnaik welcomed Union Finance Minister`s announcement on formation of a committee to examine backwardness of states claiming special category state status.
Accusing Congress of indulging in politics on caste basis, Das said, "People of Odisha do not believe in politics of caste and religion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`