BJD holds rally in Delhi to demand special status for Odisha
New Delhi: Nearly 30,000 people from Odisha led by BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik gathered at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi Wednesday to protest against the centre`s apathy towards the state`s demand for the special category status.
"Around 30,000 people are attending the Swabhiman Samavesh rally at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi," Vinod Dhawan, a protester told reporters.
"It has been a very long standing demand of Odisha for special category status. The state satisfies the existing criteria for special status," Biju Janata Dal leader and Lok Sabha MP Jay Panda told a news channel here.
"Some states are getting special category benefits who have three times the per capita income of Odisha, and twice of what the national average is," he added.
The chief minister has been pressing for the special category status to Odisha, citing the state as one of the poorest in the country. He has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh many times in this regard.
According to Patnaik, Odisha satisfies most of the criteria for special status, except that it does not have an international boundary.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory