BJD leader arrested in Odisha for abusing police
Koraput: A leader of the ruling Biju Janata Dal was arrested for allegedly abusing a police officer in Koraput district, police said on Wednesday.
The arrested BJD leader, identified as Bhabani Panda, is the vice-chairman of Jeypore Panchayat Samiti.
Panda reached the official quarters of SDPO (Jeypore) Mitrabhanu Mohapatra in the wee hours on Monday allegedly in an inebriated condition and abused the police officer, police said.
"Shortly after I returned home after night patrol duty, Panda came to my residence and started misbehaving with me. He threatened me with dire consequences if I dared to take any action against him. He was drunk. The police patrol vehicle reached the spot and arrested him," said Mohapatra.
Earlier on Sunday, the SDPO had arrested Panda along with six others following a raid on a gambling den in the town and seized Rs 68,000. "Panda had got a bail in the gambling case," the SDPO said.
Panda was not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself