BJD leader arrested in Odisha for abusing police
Koraput: A leader of the ruling Biju Janata Dal was arrested for allegedly abusing a police officer in Koraput district, police said on Wednesday.
The arrested BJD leader, identified as Bhabani Panda, is the vice-chairman of Jeypore Panchayat Samiti.
Panda reached the official quarters of SDPO (Jeypore) Mitrabhanu Mohapatra in the wee hours on Monday allegedly in an inebriated condition and abused the police officer, police said.
"Shortly after I returned home after night patrol duty, Panda came to my residence and started misbehaving with me. He threatened me with dire consequences if I dared to take any action against him. He was drunk. The police patrol vehicle reached the spot and arrested him," said Mohapatra.
Earlier on Sunday, the SDPO had arrested Panda along with six others following a raid on a gambling den in the town and seized Rs 68,000. "Panda had got a bail in the gambling case," the SDPO said.
Panda was not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says