BJD leader arrested in Odisha for abusing police
Koraput: A leader of the ruling Biju Janata Dal was arrested for allegedly abusing a police officer in Koraput district, police said on Wednesday.
The arrested BJD leader, identified as Bhabani Panda, is the vice-chairman of Jeypore Panchayat Samiti.
Panda reached the official quarters of SDPO (Jeypore) Mitrabhanu Mohapatra in the wee hours on Monday allegedly in an inebriated condition and abused the police officer, police said.
"Shortly after I returned home after night patrol duty, Panda came to my residence and started misbehaving with me. He threatened me with dire consequences if I dared to take any action against him. He was drunk. The police patrol vehicle reached the spot and arrested him," said Mohapatra.
Earlier on Sunday, the SDPO had arrested Panda along with six others following a raid on a gambling den in the town and seized Rs 68,000. "Panda had got a bail in the gambling case," the SDPO said.
Panda was not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Song alert! 'Besabriyaan' from Sushant Singh Rajput's 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story' OUT—Watch
- Thai junta rules out link between latest bombings and earlier deadly attacks
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch