BJD leader arrested in Odisha for abusing police
Koraput: A leader of the ruling Biju Janata Dal was arrested for allegedly abusing a police officer in Koraput district, police said on Wednesday.
The arrested BJD leader, identified as Bhabani Panda, is the vice-chairman of Jeypore Panchayat Samiti.
Panda reached the official quarters of SDPO (Jeypore) Mitrabhanu Mohapatra in the wee hours on Monday allegedly in an inebriated condition and abused the police officer, police said.
"Shortly after I returned home after night patrol duty, Panda came to my residence and started misbehaving with me. He threatened me with dire consequences if I dared to take any action against him. He was drunk. The police patrol vehicle reached the spot and arrested him," said Mohapatra.
Earlier on Sunday, the SDPO had arrested Panda along with six others following a raid on a gambling den in the town and seized Rs 68,000. "Panda had got a bail in the gambling case," the SDPO said.
Panda was not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!