BJD leader arrested on fake caste certificate case
Baripada (Odisha): A ruling BJD woman leader and former BJP MLA from Baisinga in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district was on Saturday arrested on charge of forging caste (tribal) certificate, police said.
The BJD`s women`s wing president of Mayurbhanj district Pramila Giri was arrested under section 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating), 471 (using as genuine a forged document or election record) and 420 (Cheating) of IPC, said Sandhyarani Beuria, the officer-in-charge of Badasahi Police Station.
Giri, who was a member of the Odisha Legislative Assembly (OLA) from 2004 to 2009 representing Baisingha segment exclusively meant for ST candidates, had meanwhile joined the ruling BJD some time ago. She was elected to the assembly on BJP ticket.
"This is a conspiracy against me by my political opponents. I will take up the matter with higher court," Giri told PTI over phone after her arrest.
Giri`s election to the asembly as a scheduled tribe candidate was challenged by Congress leader Prabodh Kumar Panda, the president of Betanati block, in 2008. Panda had lodged his complaint with the collector of Mayurbhanj. He alleged that Giri belonged to "Gopala" (milkman) caste under general category and not a tribal.
The case was later shifted to the court of Revenue Divisional Commissioner (RDC), Central division, which in its order yesterday said that Giri belonged to "Gopala" caste and was not a tribal though she was married to an adivasi man.
Pramila Giri`s husband Rasika Chandra Giri, a former military man, has meanwhile passed away.
"A person is tribal by birth and not by marriage," the RDC court said in its order asking the district administration to initiate action against Giri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users