BJD MLA receives threat for raising dal scam
Bhubaneswar: Seeking life protection
provisions for all Orissa MLAs including chief minister Naveen
Patnaik, ruling BJD legislator Debasis Nayak on Thursday claimed to
have received threat from anonymous persons for raising
irregularities in supply of sub-standard dal under mid-day
meal and supplementary nutrition programme.
"I was threatened for raising the issue of
irregularities in the supply of sub-standard dal to schools
and anganwadi centres," Nayak, a former minister, said in
"I will do what is right, I told the persons who
issued me threat," he said.
The MLA, who was dropped from the ministry in previous
term, was said to be the first MLA to make dal scam public. He
had written to the vigilance department claiming that crores
were misappropriated by private parties by supplying such
inferior quality of pulses under mid-day meal and SNP.
Stating that security provisions for members of Orissa
Legislative Assembly (OLA) was inadequate, Nayak demanded
review of the chief minister`s security too.
Chief minister`s chopper had once landed in an
agricultural field and Patnaik had to walk down till main road
accompanied by only one security man, he pointed out adding
that personal security officers (PSOs) provided to ministers
were either in the rank of havildars or below that rank.
As terrorists could dare to launch an attack on former
Andhra Pradesh chief minister C B Naidu at Tirupati, it was
high time to review security of Patnaik, Nayak said.
As MLAs visit places and frequently meet people of
different kind, their security must be augmented, Nayak said
adding he had already written a letter to the home department
highlighting necessity of adequate life protection provision
for members of the OLA.
Other members including NCP legislature party leader
Amar Satpathy, BJD members Pradeep Maharathy, Jiban Pradip Das
and Independent MLA Pratap Sarangi demanded adequate security
at Sri Jagannath Temple at Puri and Sun Temple at Konark.
"These two monuments are considered as the pride of
the country. They should be protected," Maharathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical