BJD opposes shifting of East Coast Railway headquarters
Bhubaneswar: The ruling Biju Janata Dal on Thursday held demonstrations in different parts of Odisha to protest the demand made by a union minister to shift the headquarters of the East Coast Railway from here to Andhra Pradesh.
Carrying posters and banners and shouting slogans against the central government, the party activists and leaders took out rallies and held silent demonstrations near different railway stations.
In state capital Bhubaneswar, hundreds of party members marched in a procession and assembled near the city`s railway station, where they staged a sit-in demonstration for over an hour.
"The demand made by (Union Minister of Tribal Affairs) VK Chandra Deo is absurd and anti-Odisha. We will not tolerate it," BJD legislator and protest leader Mitu Badajeja said.
The BJD will also stage similar demonstrations in front of all railway stations in the state on Friday and Saturday, he said.
Speaking to a local television channel on Wednesday, minister Deo had suggested the shifting of the headquarters of East Coast Railway from Bhubaneswar to Vishakhapatnam, as the latter was at the centre of the eastern coast.
Deo said he had also submitted a proposal to the AK Antony-headed high power committee looking into the demand for a zonal headquarters for Indian Railways.
The Odisha units of the Congress party and Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) also expressed their opposition to Deo`s proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan