BJD releases second list for 3 Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD on Friday denied tickets to two sitting MLAs from Malkangiri and Deogarh, while announcing the second list of candidates for three Lok Sabha constituencies and 18 Assembly segments.
BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik fielded new faces for three Lok Sabha seats of Sambalpur, Bargargh and Nabarangpur. While former minister Nagendra Pradhan was named as the BJD candidate to contest from Sambalpur, Balabhadra Majhi has been named as the party candidate from the Nabarangpur seat.
Dr Pravas Singh was named as the BJD candidate from Bargargh Lok Sabha seat. Former Bajrang Dal national convenor Subhas Chouhan has already entered the contest as the BJP candidate from the same seat in western Odisha.
Nagendra Pradhan will face Congress`s sitting MP Amar Pradhan and BJP`s Suresh Pujari in Sambalpur, while BJD has pitted Balabhadra Majhi against sitting Congress MP Pradeep Majhi and BJP`s Parsuram Majhi from Nabarangpur.
While denying ticket to Malkangiri MLA Mukund Sodi, BJD nominated Manas Madkami from the Assembly segment and Deogarh MLA Sanjeeb Kumar Pradhan was replaced by Anita Pradhan.
The ministers like Ramesh Majhi (Jharigaon), Prasanna Acharya (Bijepur), Bikram Keshari Arukh (Bhanjanagar) and former minister and speaker Kishore Kumar Mohanty were re-nominated by the BJD supremo.
Assembly Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat has been re-nominated from Boudh Assembly segment and Manohar Randhari from Nabarangpur. Anup Sai, who recently joined the BJD after quiting the Congress, was given ticket from the Brajrajnagar Assembly segment by Patnaik.
The MLAs, who have been retained by the party are Sushant Singh (Bhatli), Bijay Ranjan Singh Bariha (Padmapur) and Subhas Gond (Umerkote).
Earlier in the first list, the party had named candidates for 30 Assembly and five Lok Sabha seats. With the second list, the BJD named candidates for the total of eight Lok Sabha seats and 48 Assembly segments.
The first phase of polling in the state will be held on April 10 in 70 Assembly and 10 Lok Sabha seats.
The BJD is yet to decide on the candidates for the rest 22 Assembly seats and two Lok Sabha segments for the first phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow