BJD seeks special status for Odisha, to protest in Delhi
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Sunday said it would hold a rally in New Delhi June 12 to protest the central government`s apathy in not according special category status to the state.
BJD vice president and state Panchayati Raj Minister Kalpataru Das said 30,000 people are expected to attend the Swabhiman Samavesh rally at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi.
The state assembly had passed a resolution in April seeking a special category status for Odisha. Similar resolutions were also put forth by large number of panchayati raj institutions and urban local bodies in the state.
The ruling party, which observed a two-day statewide strike in April and launched a signature campaign to strengthen its stand on the issue, intends to submit a memorandum to the central government with one crore signatures, he said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who is also president of the BJD, has been pressing for special category status to Odisha for a long time, citing the state as one of the poorest in the country. He has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh many times in this regard.
According to Patnaik, Odisha satisfies most of the criteria for special status, except that it does not have an international boundary.
On the other hand, the opposition Congress accused the ruling party of raising the special category status issue to divert attention of the people from the chit fund scams (ponzi scheme scam) that rocked the state recently.
The Congress will stage demonstrations across the state June 5 to protest the government`s failure to check the scam, state party president Jayadeb Jena told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly