BJD "sorry" for violating model code of conduct
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD on Thursday expressed regrets to State Election Commission after "admitting" that some of its leaders including ministers had used official vehicles to attend a party meeting here which led to violation of model code of conduct for the ensuing panchayat polls.
"The ruling party has admitted that some of its
ministers and leaders had used the official vehicles to attend
the BJD`s foundation day function on December 26 and expressed
"sorry" for it and committed not to repeat the mistake again,"
the State Election Commissioner Ajit Kumar Tripathy told
The ruling party`s general secretary Narendra Swain
also admitted that some leaders had used the official vehicle
to attend the party function under the impression that the
code of conduct was only applicable in rural areas. "We have
assured the SEC not to repeat the mistake," Swain told
The SEC took note of media reports which showed official
vehicles of some ministers and leaders parked outside the
state headquarters of the BJD where party`s foundation day
function was being held on December 26.
Subsequently, the SEC had issued a show cause notice to
the BJD asking it to explain why action would not be taken for
clear violation of the model code of conduct for the ensuing
panchayat polls scheduled to held from February 11 to 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!