BJD stages dharna near Raj Bhavan, seeks Prez intervention
Bhubaneswar: As part of its series of agitational programmes against the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, the ruling BJD on Monday staged a dharna in front of the Raj Bhavan here to highlight alleged negligence towards the state and demand of special category status for Odisha.
The dharna attended by BJD`s senior leaders including MPs and MLAs pointed out that the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs`s (CCEA) recent allocation of only Rs 1,000 crore for Odisha was an instance of UPA government`s negligence towards the state.
The party also submitted a memorandum to President Pranab Mukherjee through governor S C Jamir. "Though we have been demanding a Rs 4550 crore special package, the centre did not give any assistance. Odisha`s demand of special category state status is also not taken seriously by UPA government," the BJD leaders said in the memorandum to the President.
While the CCEA allocated Rs 12,000 for Bihar, it decided to allocate only Rs 1,000 for poverty stricken KBK region of the state, alleged senior BJD MLA and former finance minister Prafulla Ghadai.
The party has decided to hold awareness campaigns at all districts from tomorrow about the Centre’s alleged negligence towards the people of the state before conducting a 12 hour statewide bandh on April 26.
"This apart, we have also started signature campaign demanding special category state status for Odisha and those of one crore people will be sent to the President," said BJD Youth wing president Sanjay Dasburma said.
The party chalked out a series of agitational programme with its president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik stating it is most unfortunate that the Centre is discriminating against Odisha on political considerations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress