BJD sticks to Sangma as Prez candidate
Bhubaneswar: With NCP leader PA Sangma refusing to pull out of the Presidential race, the ruling BJD in Odisha, which was the first to moot his name for the top post, on sunday stuck to its support for the former Lok Sabha Speaker.
"Having proposed Sangma`s name as the Presidential candidate, the BJD is whole-heartedly supporting the prominent tribal leader," senior MP and BJD Parliamentary Party leader Arjun Charan Sethi said.
Recalling that BJD supremo and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was the first to moot the name of Sangma for the top post, Sethi said "there has been no change in our party`s stand on the issue."
He said senior BJD leaders, who held a series of meetings and discussed the issue threadbare at the Chief Minister`s residence since Friday night, were strongly in favour of supporting Sangma.
Meanwhile, undaunted by threat of disciplinary action by NCP leadership, Sangma also stuck to his decision to remain in the race for presidency.
"As long as Sangma is in the race, BJD will continue to support him without deviating from its earlier decision," said another senior BJD leader.
The regional party also seems to be waiting for NDA to finalise its stand on the Presidential election, sources said adding "BJD leaders are closely watching the developments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!