BJD sweeps ULB polls in Western Odisha; Congress, BJP get drubbing
Bhubaneswar: Ruling BJD on Saturday swept the second phase of urban local body (ULB) polls in western Odisha by winning a clear majority in 15 of 20 municipalities and notified area councils (NACs).
Opposition Congress, managed to get majority only in Barpali NAC of Bargarh district, while BJP secured majority only in Patnagarh NAC of Bolangir district, sources said, adding that three ULBs witnessed a fractured verdict.
A jubilant Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who is also president of the ruling BJD, thanked the people and party workers and leaders and said "This is a huge victory in these urban elections... A tremendous victory for our party in western Odisha."
BJD won 15 wards in Bargarh municipality in Bargarh district, while Congress and BJP have won two and one seats respectively. Similarly, the ruling party won 12 out of the 16 wards in Kantabanji NAC of Balangir district, sources said.
Among the places where BJD secured majority are Bhawanipatna municipality of Kalahandi district, Sundargarh municipality of Sundargarh district, Binka NAC of Subarnapur district, Khariar Road NAC of Nuapada district, Tarabha NAC of Subarnapur dist, Junagarh NAC of Kalahandi district, Bargarh municipality of Bargarh district, Biramitrapur municipality of Sundergarh district, Kuchinda NAC of Sambalpur district, Sonepur municipality of Subarnapur district, Kantabanji NAC of Bolangir dist, Deogarh municipality of Deogarh district, official sources said.
However, there was no clear majority to any political party in 20-ward Rajgangpur municipality of Sundargarh district where BJD won 10 wards, Congress 2, BJP 3 and Independent candidates claimed 5 seats.
In Khariar NAC of Nuapada district, both BJD and Congress won six each out of 13 wards.
In the first phase of ULB polls held on September 19 for 65 bodies, BJD won a majority in 41 places, while Congress won a majority in 10 civic bodies, and Independents managed to win in a majority of wards in two ULBs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured