BJD sweeps ULB polls in Western Odisha; Congress, BJP get drubbing
Bhubaneswar: Ruling BJD on Saturday swept the second phase of urban local body (ULB) polls in western Odisha by winning a clear majority in 15 of 20 municipalities and notified area councils (NACs).
Opposition Congress, managed to get majority only in Barpali NAC of Bargarh district, while BJP secured majority only in Patnagarh NAC of Bolangir district, sources said, adding that three ULBs witnessed a fractured verdict.
A jubilant Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who is also president of the ruling BJD, thanked the people and party workers and leaders and said "This is a huge victory in these urban elections... A tremendous victory for our party in western Odisha."
BJD won 15 wards in Bargarh municipality in Bargarh district, while Congress and BJP have won two and one seats respectively. Similarly, the ruling party won 12 out of the 16 wards in Kantabanji NAC of Balangir district, sources said.
Among the places where BJD secured majority are Bhawanipatna municipality of Kalahandi district, Sundargarh municipality of Sundargarh district, Binka NAC of Subarnapur district, Khariar Road NAC of Nuapada district, Tarabha NAC of Subarnapur dist, Junagarh NAC of Kalahandi district, Bargarh municipality of Bargarh district, Biramitrapur municipality of Sundergarh district, Kuchinda NAC of Sambalpur district, Sonepur municipality of Subarnapur district, Kantabanji NAC of Bolangir dist, Deogarh municipality of Deogarh district, official sources said.
However, there was no clear majority to any political party in 20-ward Rajgangpur municipality of Sundargarh district where BJD won 10 wards, Congress 2, BJP 3 and Independent candidates claimed 5 seats.
In Khariar NAC of Nuapada district, both BJD and Congress won six each out of 13 wards.
In the first phase of ULB polls held on September 19 for 65 bodies, BJD won a majority in 41 places, while Congress won a majority in 10 civic bodies, and Independents managed to win in a majority of wards in two ULBs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September