BJD sweeps ULB polls in Western Odisha; Congress, BJP get drubbing
Bhubaneswar: Ruling BJD on Saturday swept the second phase of urban local body (ULB) polls in western Odisha by winning a clear majority in 15 of 20 municipalities and notified area councils (NACs).
Opposition Congress, managed to get majority only in Barpali NAC of Bargarh district, while BJP secured majority only in Patnagarh NAC of Bolangir district, sources said, adding that three ULBs witnessed a fractured verdict.
A jubilant Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who is also president of the ruling BJD, thanked the people and party workers and leaders and said "This is a huge victory in these urban elections... A tremendous victory for our party in western Odisha."
BJD won 15 wards in Bargarh municipality in Bargarh district, while Congress and BJP have won two and one seats respectively. Similarly, the ruling party won 12 out of the 16 wards in Kantabanji NAC of Balangir district, sources said.
Among the places where BJD secured majority are Bhawanipatna municipality of Kalahandi district, Sundargarh municipality of Sundargarh district, Binka NAC of Subarnapur district, Khariar Road NAC of Nuapada district, Tarabha NAC of Subarnapur dist, Junagarh NAC of Kalahandi district, Bargarh municipality of Bargarh district, Biramitrapur municipality of Sundergarh district, Kuchinda NAC of Sambalpur district, Sonepur municipality of Subarnapur district, Kantabanji NAC of Bolangir dist, Deogarh municipality of Deogarh district, official sources said.
However, there was no clear majority to any political party in 20-ward Rajgangpur municipality of Sundargarh district where BJD won 10 wards, Congress 2, BJP 3 and Independent candidates claimed 5 seats.
In Khariar NAC of Nuapada district, both BJD and Congress won six each out of 13 wards.
In the first phase of ULB polls held on September 19 for 65 bodies, BJD won a majority in 41 places, while Congress won a majority in 10 civic bodies, and Independents managed to win in a majority of wards in two ULBs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India