BJD sweeps Zilla Parishad elections
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD has swept the
elections to rural bodies establishing control over Zilla
Parishads in 26 of the 30 districts in the state, official
sources said on Friday.
In a landslide victory, the ruling regional party
headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has grabbed a lion`s
share of 651 Zilla Parishad seats, according to data obtained
from the districts by the State Election Commission.
Both Congress and BJP were made to bite the dust as
they bagged 128 and 36 seats respectively out of the 851
zilla parishad zones for which elections were held in five
phases between February 11 and 19, SEC officials said.
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) won eleven seats, CPI two
and CPI-M got one, while Independent candidates emerged
victorious in 22 zilla parishad seats, they said.
Though here are a total of 854 zilla parishad zones in
the state, elections were held in 851.
Elections could not be held for three seats in
Kashipur block of Rayagada district as all the candidates
withdrew their nominations over the demand for Scheduled Tribe
status to the local Jhodia community, SES officials said.
Election to zilla parishad president and
vice-president posts is scheduled to be held on March 13 and
March 24 respectively, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy