BJD sweeps Zilla Parishad elections
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD has swept the
elections to rural bodies establishing control over Zilla
Parishads in 26 of the 30 districts in the state, official
sources said on Friday.
In a landslide victory, the ruling regional party
headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has grabbed a lion`s
share of 651 Zilla Parishad seats, according to data obtained
from the districts by the State Election Commission.
Both Congress and BJP were made to bite the dust as
they bagged 128 and 36 seats respectively out of the 851
zilla parishad zones for which elections were held in five
phases between February 11 and 19, SEC officials said.
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) won eleven seats, CPI two
and CPI-M got one, while Independent candidates emerged
victorious in 22 zilla parishad seats, they said.
Though here are a total of 854 zilla parishad zones in
the state, elections were held in 851.
Elections could not be held for three seats in
Kashipur block of Rayagada district as all the candidates
withdrew their nominations over the demand for Scheduled Tribe
status to the local Jhodia community, SES officials said.
Election to zilla parishad president and
vice-president posts is scheduled to be held on March 13 and
March 24 respectively, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video