BJD to adopt positive approach towards new government
Bhubaneswar: BJD today said it will adopt a positive approach towards the new NDA government at the Centre and support it on certain issues in the interest of Odisha and the country.
"We will have a positive attitude towards the NDA government. The BJD will support the central government on certain issues in the interest of Odisha and the country. We expect the Centre will reciprocate our stand," Cuttack MP and BJD Parliamentary Party leader in the Lok Sabha Bhartuhari Mahtab said.
The decision was taken at a BJD parliamentary party meeting presided over by party president Naveen Patnaik. Reiterating that BJD would stick to its stand of maintaining equal distance from BJP and Congress, he said, "We should not hesitate voting against the ruling alliance if something goes against the interests of our state. "
To another query, Mahtab said, "BJD will support any party which raises issues relating to the interest of Odisha." BJD`s stand of maintaining distance from BJP should not be misunderstood as the BJD MPs would be entering Parliament with a positive mindset, he said.
"We expect the NDA government to appreciate the mood of people in Odisha who have elected 20 BJD representatives to Lok Sabha."
With 20 MPs, BJD is fifth largest party in the Lok Sabha. "We will have a positive outlook towards the central government. However, the party will take an independent stand as far as Odisha`s interest is concerned," Kendrapara MP Baijaynt Panda said.
The BJD had severed its 11-year-old alliance with the BJP before 2009 Lok Sabha polls after the collapse of seat-sharing talks between them in Odisha.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference