BJD trumped by Congress in Odisha NAC polls
Bhubaneswar: In a boost to Congress in Odisha, it trumped ruling BJD in elections to three newly formed notified area councils (NACs), results of which were declared on Thursday.
Of the 42 wards of Attabira (Bargarh district), Hindol (Dhenkanal) and Nuapada NACs, where polling was held yesterday, Congress won in 20, while BJD only in 12 and BJP in just four.
It was a tie in Attabira with BJD and Congress winning six seats each.
In Hindol, Congress captured seven out of 16 wards followed by six seats by independents, two by BJD and one by BJP.
Congress registered a convincing victory in Nuapada by bagging seven of the 14 seats while BJD won four and BJP three.
Poll results in these newly-formed NACs assume significance as 90 urban local bodies (ULBs) in the state are scheduled to go to polls later this year.
Jubilant over the party`s performance, Odisha PCC President Niranjan Patnaik said the results showed that people have accepted the party`s call for a change of guard, while Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh (Cong) said BJD suffered a severe blow with its poor show.
Senior BJP leader B B Harichandan said the party could have done better had the organisational set up been given proper shape in the new NAC areas.
Revenue Minister S N Patro said the NAC polls were held purely on local issues and BJD would review it.
Elections for the post of chairman and vice-chairman of the NACs are scheduled to be held on April 13 and 25 respectively, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam