BJD trumped by Congress in Odisha NAC polls
Bhubaneswar: In a boost to Congress in Odisha, it trumped ruling BJD in elections to three newly formed notified area councils (NACs), results of which were declared on Thursday.
Of the 42 wards of Attabira (Bargarh district), Hindol (Dhenkanal) and Nuapada NACs, where polling was held yesterday, Congress won in 20, while BJD only in 12 and BJP in just four.
It was a tie in Attabira with BJD and Congress winning six seats each.
In Hindol, Congress captured seven out of 16 wards followed by six seats by independents, two by BJD and one by BJP.
Congress registered a convincing victory in Nuapada by bagging seven of the 14 seats while BJD won four and BJP three.
Poll results in these newly-formed NACs assume significance as 90 urban local bodies (ULBs) in the state are scheduled to go to polls later this year.
Jubilant over the party`s performance, Odisha PCC President Niranjan Patnaik said the results showed that people have accepted the party`s call for a change of guard, while Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh (Cong) said BJD suffered a severe blow with its poor show.
Senior BJP leader B B Harichandan said the party could have done better had the organisational set up been given proper shape in the new NAC areas.
Revenue Minister S N Patro said the NAC polls were held purely on local issues and BJD would review it.
Elections for the post of chairman and vice-chairman of the NACs are scheduled to be held on April 13 and 25 respectively, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof