BJD weakens Odisha`s case for special category status: Centre
Bhubaneswar: The Centre on Thursday accusing the ruling BJD in Odisha of weakening the state`s case for getting special category status by giving wrong data on poverty.
"Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik diluted Odisha`s case for special category state status by providing wrong and contradictory data on the number of poor and painting a robust picture of the state`s economy," Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilisers Srikant Jena told reporters here.
The special category status issue was being raised to divert people`s attention from the ponzi scheme scam in the state, he claimed and alleged that ministers and BJD leaders were involved in the racket.
Slamming the BJD government for attacking Centre for not granting the special category tag, the Congress leader said if the chief minister is sincere about the demand he should provide a correct picture on the number of poor in the state instead of claiming substantial decline in poverty.
Patnaik should also apologise to the people for giving wrong statistics about the number of poor and admit before the Centre that his government had failed to bring down poverty level, Jena, who was flanked by Congress leader Narsingh Mishra, said.
Both Jena and Mishra accused BJD of indulging in cheap politics on the issue after Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia in a letter to Patnaik informed that Odisha did not qualify for the special category status as per the existing criteria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says