BJD weakens Odisha`s case for special category status: Centre
Bhubaneswar: The Centre on Thursday accusing the ruling BJD in Odisha of weakening the state`s case for getting special category status by giving wrong data on poverty.
"Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik diluted Odisha`s case for special category state status by providing wrong and contradictory data on the number of poor and painting a robust picture of the state`s economy," Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilisers Srikant Jena told reporters here.
The special category status issue was being raised to divert people`s attention from the ponzi scheme scam in the state, he claimed and alleged that ministers and BJD leaders were involved in the racket.
Slamming the BJD government for attacking Centre for not granting the special category tag, the Congress leader said if the chief minister is sincere about the demand he should provide a correct picture on the number of poor in the state instead of claiming substantial decline in poverty.
Patnaik should also apologise to the people for giving wrong statistics about the number of poor and admit before the Centre that his government had failed to bring down poverty level, Jena, who was flanked by Congress leader Narsingh Mishra, said.
Both Jena and Mishra accused BJD of indulging in cheap politics on the issue after Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia in a letter to Patnaik informed that Odisha did not qualify for the special category status as per the existing criteria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?