BJD wins Balangir and Titlagarh civic body elections
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD on Wednesday swept the two urban local body (ULB) elections at Titlagarh and Balangir, a State Election Commission release said here today.
Out of the total of 21 wards in Balangir Municipality, BJD won 15 while Congress won in four places followed by BJP and Independent candidates winning one ward each, it said.
In the Titlagarh notified area council (NAC) polls, ruling BJD also registered a landslide victory winning 14 out of the total of 15 wards, it stated.
The election for the post of chairperson and vice-chairperson of Balangir and Titlagarh ULBs would be held on July 11 and August 5 respectively, the release notified.
Meanwhile, accepting the defeat, leader of opposition and Balangir`s Congress MLA Narasingha Mishra said, "We accept the defeat. Winning and defeating are parts of elections."
BJD Vice-President and Rajya Sabha MP A U Singhdeo said that the people voted in favour of the ruling party as they have faith in the Naveen Patnaik government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe