BJD wins Balangir and Titlagarh civic body elections
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD on Wednesday swept the two urban local body (ULB) elections at Titlagarh and Balangir, a State Election Commission release said here today.
Out of the total of 21 wards in Balangir Municipality, BJD won 15 while Congress won in four places followed by BJP and Independent candidates winning one ward each, it said.
In the Titlagarh notified area council (NAC) polls, ruling BJD also registered a landslide victory winning 14 out of the total of 15 wards, it stated.
The election for the post of chairperson and vice-chairperson of Balangir and Titlagarh ULBs would be held on July 11 and August 5 respectively, the release notified.
Meanwhile, accepting the defeat, leader of opposition and Balangir`s Congress MLA Narasingha Mishra said, "We accept the defeat. Winning and defeating are parts of elections."
BJD Vice-President and Rajya Sabha MP A U Singhdeo said that the people voted in favour of the ruling party as they have faith in the Naveen Patnaik government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report