BJD`s Basanti records narrow 115-vote margin victory
Bhubaneswar: They say a winner takes it all and BJD`s Basanti Mallick proved it once again defeating Congress` Dasarathi Gamang by a narrow margin of 115 votes.
However, everybody was not as lucky as Basanti. At least four BJD candidates including state`s finance minister Prasanna Acharya lost their battle in the Assembly elections by a margin of less of 1000 votes.
Finance Minister Prasanna Acharya lost to Congress` Subal Sahu by 458 votes at the Bijepur Assembly segment, while sitting party MLA Raghunath Sahu was defeated by BJP candidate Bibhuti Bhusan Harichandan by 541 votes at Chilika seat.
Likewise, Ama Odisha Party leader Soumya Ranjan Patnaik, who is also the son-in-law of Assam Governor J B Patnaik also lost by a margin of 601 votes. BJD`s Anubhav Patnaik, a new entrant in politics, won the seat.
However, the elections also witnessed huge victory margins in the state.
Higher education minister Badri Narayan Patra won from Ghasipura Assembly segment by the highest margin of 88,602 votes to outsmart BJP`s Satyabrata Panda.
Patra was followed by BJD`s P K Balabantray, who won election from Dharmasala Assembly segment by a margin of 85,786 votes.
BJD`s Jajpur candidate Pranab Prakash Das also had won by a huge margin of 84,613 votes.
Incidentally, party supremo and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik won by an impressive margin of 76,586 votes from the Hinjili Assembly segment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note