BJP demands Acharya`s resignation on moral grounds
Bhubaneswar: Opposition BJP in Odisha on Friday demanded resignation of state finance minister Prasanna Acharya in the wake of a Commission finding fault with the drugs administration for spurious liquor tragedy of February 2012 that claimed 41 lives.
"Acharya, who was then the state`s health minister should resign from the ministry on moral grounds," BJP state president KV Singhdeo demanded at a media conference here.
Though the then excise minister AU Singhdeo resigned from the ministry after the hooch tragedy in Khurda and Cuttack district, Acharya refused to quit the post.
"As Acharya had then told to wait for the report of the inquiry commission, now he should step down," the BJP president said.
The Commission of Inquiry headed by Justice AS Naidu has found fault with the system of the state drugs administration and blamed the tragedy on lack of coordination between police, excise and drugs administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened