BJP demands busting of child racket in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Alleging large scale trafficking of children from tribal-dominated areas of Odisha due to inaction of state government, BJP on Monday demanded immediate steps to bust the racket, rescue the victims and punish the culprits.
"Many children, including girls, from poor tribal families are being trafficked from areas like Gajapati, Kandhamal and Ganjam districts by dubious organisations by promising education and other facilities," Odisha BJP unit`s Vice-president Ashok Sahu told reporters here.
Alleging involvement of religious organisations in the racket, Sahu said 35 children from Odisha aged between three and 13 years were rescued from Coimbatore area of Tamil Nadu recently.
Many children were sent illegally to states like Kerala and Tamil Nadu in the name of providing them education, he said adding they were subsequently engaged as labourers and domestic helps while girls sexually exploited.
Accusing Odisha`s tribal welfare and women and child development departments as well as police administration of failing to check the illegal act, Sahu said the government must take concrete steps to check such illegal trafficking.
The BJP leader further alleged that about 234 children had been kept at a place in Kanichi in Ganjam district by an organisation which had no legal status.
A similar racket is operating from a house in K-6 sector of Kalinga Nagar area in the state capital, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened