BJP for CBI probe into land scam in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Hitting out at Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for alleged cover up bid in land scam, the BJP on Tuesday demanded a CBI probe into allotment of land and houses as role of political leaders had now surfaced during inquiry into chit fund scandal by the central agency.
"The state government should hand over probe into irregularities in land allotment to CBI on its own in order to unravel the role of political leaders and land mafia," senior BJP leader Bijay Mohapatra told reporters here.
Mounting a scathing attack on the Chief Minister, he claimed the state government had rejected the demand for a CBI probe into chit fund scam a year ago claiming that crime branch police was inquiring into the matter properly.
However, involvement of political leaders in chit fund scam is now coming to fore during CBI inquiry being conducted into the scandal following Supreme Court order, Mohapatra said.
"The Chief Minister remained silent in chit fund scam and now in land scam. While opposition to CBI probe into chit fund scam did not succeed, land scam will also meet with the same fate," the BJP leader said.
Slamming the Chief Minister for being silent on involvement his party colleagues in land scam, he said while the Accountant General mentioned party leaders including ministers in his report, Patnaik failed to take any action.
Claiming that the AG report has blurred the image of Patnaik, he alleged the Chief Minister tried to suppress the report from March 2012 and did not comply with many queries or supply information despite repeated reminders.
The AG had sought certain files from BDA and GA department which were not provided, he claimed adding even after CAG requested the chief minister to personally intervene in the matter little was done.
The BJP leader further claimed that several pages were found missing from a file relating to a group housing scheme in which state government incurred a loss of Rs 463 crore as pointed out in CAG report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state