BJP for CBI probe into land scam in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Hitting out at Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for alleged cover up bid in land scam, BJP on Tuesday demanded a CBI probe into allotment of land and houses as role of political leaders had now surfaced during inquiry into chit fund scandal by the central agency.
"The state government should hand over probe into irregularities in land allotment to CBI on its own in order to unravel the role of political leaders and land mafia," senior BJP leader Bijay Mohapatra told reporters here.
Mounting a scathing attack on the Chief Minister, he claimed the state government had rejected the demand for a CBI probe into chit fund scam a year ago claiming that crime branch police was inquiring into the matter properly.
However, involvement of political leaders in chit fund scam is now coming to fore during CBI inquiry being conducted into the scandal following Supreme Court order, Mohapatra said.
"The Chief Minister remained silent in chit fund scam and now in land scam. While opposition to CBI probe into chit fund scam did not succeed, land scam will also meet with the same fate," the BJP leader said.
Slamming the Chief Minister for being silent on involvement his party colleagues in land scam, he said while the Accountant General mentioned party leaders including ministers in his report, Patnaik failed to take any action.
Claiming that the AG report has blurred the image of Patnaik, he alleged the chief minister tried to suppress the report from March 2012 and did not comply with many queries or supply information despite repeated reminders.
The AG had sought certain files from BDA and GA department which were not provided, he claimed adding even after CAG requested the chief minister to personally intervene in the matter little was done.
The BJP leader further claimed that several pages were found missing from a file relating to a group housing scheme in which state government incurred a loss of Rs 463 crore as pointed out in CAG report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know