BJP levels flood relief discrimination charge against Odisha
Berhampur: Accusing Odisha Government of indulging in discrimination in distrubition of relief in cyclone and flood hit people in Ganjam district, BJP leaders have threatened to initiate legal action.
"Hundreds of families, hit by the twin calamities, are yet to get any relief. Relief materials are being distributed on party lines, mainly in worst-affected Gopalpur," said party`s former state youth wing President Bibhuti Jena.
District President of BJP Bijay Swain said village committees have not been formed for smooth distribution of relief. "When our supporters protested against discriminatory attitude, police booked them in false cases," alleged Swain.
Jena said party worker S Mahendra Patra was arrested at Kanishi on Monday and Jayaram Rout at Dakhinapur last week. "The cases against our party workers should be withdrawn immediately," he demanded.
There has been no improvement in the situation despite the fact that the district administration and Special Relief Commissioner have been informed about the problem, Jena added.
Police denied the allegation. "Patra was arrested as he along with others had blocked the national highway for several hours, bringing traffic to a grinding halt," said Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO-Berhampur) Sadar Harihara Pani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened