BJP will arrange support, form government in Odisha: KV Singhdeo
Bhubaneswar: BJP on Friday claimed that it would win 45 to 55 seats in the 147-member Odisha Assembly and would arrange support from other parties in order to form government in Odisha after announcement of results on May 16.
"We know that the party will not get absolute majority to form the government in the state. However, we will arrange required numbers to form the government in Odisha," BJP state president K V Singhdeo told reporters here after presiding over a stock-taking meeting of office bearers here.
Stating that the BJP was likely to secure 45 to 55 seats in the 147-member Odisha Legislative Assembly (OLA), Singhdeo said, "I can say that Biju Janata Dal (BJD) is not going to form government in 2014. We will arrange the required number."
Asked from where it would get support of about 30 MLAs to reach the majority figure of 74, Singhdeo said, "Many people are in touch with me. They will give support to form government. But, I will not reveal their names and party affiliation now."
Singhdeo claimed that BJP will win 45 to 55 assembly seats banking on the Modi wave.
The BJP has only six MLAs and support of one Independent MLA in the Odisha assembly at present.
"The BJP`s performance in the 2014 twin (both Assembly and Parliamentary) elections in the state will surprise all. I am confident that BJP candidates will win in nine to 14 Lok Sabha seats in Odisha," Singhdeo claimed.
Of the 21 Lok Sabha seats in Odisha, BJP did not win any of the Parliamentary Constituencies in 2009 while the ruling BJD captured 14 seats followed by Congress with six seats and one by the CPI.
The ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) vice-president Damodar Rout dubbed Singdeo`s claim as a "daydream".
"They (BJP) have only six MLAs in the 14th Assembly. I do not believe that they can touch 36 figure. They had 36 MLAs in 2004 as the BJP had alliance with the BJD. After BJD severed ties with BJP in 2009, their number came down to 6," Rout pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth