Major setback for proposed Vedanta University in Puri
Bhubaneswar: Vedanta group`s proposed world class university along the coast of Puri-Konark suffered a major setback on Tuesday when the Orissa High Court quashed the entire process of land acquisition by the company measuring about 6,700 acres. The court also issued orders to return the land to their rightful owners. This is the second jolt for the Vedanta group in the state after its Kalahandi-based alumina refinery expansion project was scrapped by the Union MoEF.
The Vedanta`s `Anil Agarwal Foundation` had proposed to set up a world standard university along the Marine Drive between Puri and Konark in Orissa, but the proposal generated a lot of controversy over the past few years. The Foundation had signed an MoU with the state in 2006 for setting up the university.
The Division Bench of the High Court comprising Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice BP Das, adjudicating over a PIL, today pronounced the verdict stating that the entire process of land acquisition was illegal. Hence the court quashed the entire land acquired and directed for its immediate return.
The company had originally proposed to acquire about 20,000 acres between Puri and Konark. However, in the face of public pressure the state government had agreed to allot only about 8,000 acres out of which 6,500 acres had already been acquired for the company`s world class university, though the physical possession of the entire land is still not complete.
The PILs, which were filed by one Uma Ballahv Rath and Gopabandhu Daridranarayan Trust, besides six other individual petitions, had challenged the land acquisition process which violated the 1963 companies` Land Acquisition Act. The petitions had also questioned the eligibility of the company, Anil Agarwal Foundation, in whose favour the land was acquired, because it was not a private limited company.
“The petitioners had highlighted issues like (presence of) highly eco-sensitive zones along the coast, which is adjacent to the proposed university, besides the most redeeming feature that out of the total acquired land, about 1385 acres belonged to Lord Jagannath of Puri,” said Subir Palit, an advocate representing the petitioners.
The court found the land acquisition procedure to be illegal on 17 accounts and thus quashed the land acquisition notifications and also the award proceedings.
In addition, the petition had also challenged the veracity of a number of committees constituted by the state government to look into the process of land acquisition in favour of the proposed university.
The issue had in fact led to controversy in 2009 when the matter was brought before the Lok Pal of Orissa by the Gopabandhu Daridranarayan Trust. The Lok Pal`s observations had indicated at the maintenability of many of the points raised by the petitioner and the report had dubbed the land-acquisition process flawed in many aspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation