Boatmen rescue marooned people in Odisha
Kendrapara: As people in the flood-affected areas are heaving a sigh of relief following receding water in Kendrapara and Jagatsinghpur districts of Odisha, several incidents of bravery and survival have come to light.
The boatmen carried out the rescue operation by rowing people to safer places such as rooftops of concrete buildings and multi-purpose cyclone shelter. Local youths had lent helping hands to the boat operators, said sarpanch of Sailo Gram Panchayat Sishir Kumar Dash.
Two pregnant women in advance stage of pregnancy from marooned Teramanapur village were shifted to Kujang for urgent medical attention. A local boatman braving the turbulent flood water and steady downpour rowed them to safety, he said.
Because of act of bravery by local youths and a boatman, a 19-year-old girl was saved when she fell into a flooded river in Chagharia village in Kendrapara district, said an eyewitness Banrubahan Rout of Chagharia village.
Many flood victims had brush with death. But timely act of bravery by people rescued a number of stranded residents in flood affected villages, said Jagatsinghpur Tehsildar, Pravash Kumar Beuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley