Boatmen rescue marooned people in Odisha
Kendrapara: As people in the flood-affected areas are heaving a sigh of relief following receding water in Kendrapara and Jagatsinghpur districts of Odisha, several incidents of bravery and survival have come to light.
The boatmen carried out the rescue operation by rowing people to safer places such as rooftops of concrete buildings and multi-purpose cyclone shelter. Local youths had lent helping hands to the boat operators, said sarpanch of Sailo Gram Panchayat Sishir Kumar Dash.
Two pregnant women in advance stage of pregnancy from marooned Teramanapur village were shifted to Kujang for urgent medical attention. A local boatman braving the turbulent flood water and steady downpour rowed them to safety, he said.
Because of act of bravery by local youths and a boatman, a 19-year-old girl was saved when she fell into a flooded river in Chagharia village in Kendrapara district, said an eyewitness Banrubahan Rout of Chagharia village.
Many flood victims had brush with death. But timely act of bravery by people rescued a number of stranded residents in flood affected villages, said Jagatsinghpur Tehsildar, Pravash Kumar Beuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune