Bodh Gaya blasts: Odisha sounds alert in Puri, Konark and Dhauli
Bhubaneswar: As the countdown for the annual Rath Jatra of Lord Jagannath has already began, Odisha government on Sunday sounded high alert at Puri, Sun Temple at Konark and different Buddhist sites including Dhauli, a prominent Buddhist site at outskrits of the state capital, in wake of the serial bomb blasts at Bodh Gaya in Bihar.
"We have decided to step up security checks at all the hotels and lodgings in the town and the beach as well," Puri SP, Anup Sahoo said adding that above 100 platoons (about 3,000 personnel) of force besides specially trained bomb disposal squad and anti-riot force would be deployed during the festival.
The security personnel would keep a close watch in the feild, from the nearby sea and aerial surveillance arrangement have been made during the rath Jatra, said Director General of Police (DGP) Prakash Mishra.
Meanwhile, one platoon of force has been deployed at Dhauli, which is famous Buddhist monument here. "All the visitors coming to the peace pagida (Dhauli is referred as) are being checked. A close watch is being maintained on the suspicious persons," a senior official said.
Besides, the district administration of Jajpur also decided to increase security arrangement at Lakitgiri and Udaygiri, two other important Buddhist sites, after the serial bomb blasts rocked at Bodh Gaya.
"I will take up the matter with the superintendent of police," said Jajpur district collector Anil Samal.
Similar arrangement will also be made at Kokark, the venue of the famous Sun Temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured