Bodh Gaya blasts: Odisha sounds alert in Puri, Konark and Dhauli
Bhubaneswar: As the countdown for the annual Rath Jatra of Lord Jagannath has already began, Odisha government on Sunday sounded high alert at Puri, Sun Temple at Konark and different Buddhist sites including Dhauli, a prominent Buddhist site at outskrits of the state capital, in wake of the serial bomb blasts at Bodh Gaya in Bihar.
"We have decided to step up security checks at all the hotels and lodgings in the town and the beach as well," Puri SP, Anup Sahoo said adding that above 100 platoons (about 3,000 personnel) of force besides specially trained bomb disposal squad and anti-riot force would be deployed during the festival.
The security personnel would keep a close watch in the feild, from the nearby sea and aerial surveillance arrangement have been made during the rath Jatra, said Director General of Police (DGP) Prakash Mishra.
Meanwhile, one platoon of force has been deployed at Dhauli, which is famous Buddhist monument here. "All the visitors coming to the peace pagida (Dhauli is referred as) are being checked. A close watch is being maintained on the suspicious persons," a senior official said.
Besides, the district administration of Jajpur also decided to increase security arrangement at Lakitgiri and Udaygiri, two other important Buddhist sites, after the serial bomb blasts rocked at Bodh Gaya.
"I will take up the matter with the superintendent of police," said Jajpur district collector Anil Samal.
Similar arrangement will also be made at Kokark, the venue of the famous Sun Temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years