Brown sugar worth Rs 5 crore seized from Cuttack
Cuttack: In a major haul, excise sleuths
on Wednesday seized around five kg of brown sugar from two locations here and also arrested two persons.
The cost of the seized brown sugar in international
market is pegged at Rs five crore, Cuttack excise
superintendent Barendranath Dhal said.
Tracking brown sugar dealer Sivaji Patel for last
several days, the sleuths raided his house at Khan Nagar in
the city and seized about 4.82 kg of brown sugar kept in two
jars inside a box.
After his interrogation, the sleuths raided the house
of another dealer Biswajit Dutt in Rajendra Nagar of the city
and found 80 gms of brown sugar from his possession.
Both Patel and Dutt were arrested and forwarded to a
court from where they were remanded in jail custody, Dhal
informed adding that this was perhaps the biggest haul of
brown sugar in the state.
Patel, a marble dealer, later started trading brown
sugar procuring the contraband from Rajasthan.
After receiving the consignment in Cuttack, Patel used
to distribute them among his associates in Chhatia,
Chandikhol, Gopalpur in Cuttack and Puri, Dhal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter