Brown sugar worth Rs 5 crore seized from Cuttack
Cuttack: In a major haul, excise sleuths
on Wednesday seized around five kg of brown sugar from two locations here and also arrested two persons.
The cost of the seized brown sugar in international
market is pegged at Rs five crore, Cuttack excise
superintendent Barendranath Dhal said.
Tracking brown sugar dealer Sivaji Patel for last
several days, the sleuths raided his house at Khan Nagar in
the city and seized about 4.82 kg of brown sugar kept in two
jars inside a box.
After his interrogation, the sleuths raided the house
of another dealer Biswajit Dutt in Rajendra Nagar of the city
and found 80 gms of brown sugar from his possession.
Both Patel and Dutt were arrested and forwarded to a
court from where they were remanded in jail custody, Dhal
informed adding that this was perhaps the biggest haul of
brown sugar in the state.
Patel, a marble dealer, later started trading brown
sugar procuring the contraband from Rajasthan.
After receiving the consignment in Cuttack, Patel used
to distribute them among his associates in Chhatia,
Chandikhol, Gopalpur in Cuttack and Puri, Dhal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir