Brown sugar worth Rs 5 crore seized from Cuttack
Cuttack: In a major haul, excise sleuths
on Wednesday seized around five kg of brown sugar from two locations here and also arrested two persons.
The cost of the seized brown sugar in international
market is pegged at Rs five crore, Cuttack excise
superintendent Barendranath Dhal said.
Tracking brown sugar dealer Sivaji Patel for last
several days, the sleuths raided his house at Khan Nagar in
the city and seized about 4.82 kg of brown sugar kept in two
jars inside a box.
After his interrogation, the sleuths raided the house
of another dealer Biswajit Dutt in Rajendra Nagar of the city
and found 80 gms of brown sugar from his possession.
Both Patel and Dutt were arrested and forwarded to a
court from where they were remanded in jail custody, Dhal
informed adding that this was perhaps the biggest haul of
brown sugar in the state.
Patel, a marble dealer, later started trading brown
sugar procuring the contraband from Rajasthan.
After receiving the consignment in Cuttack, Patel used
to distribute them among his associates in Chhatia,
Chandikhol, Gopalpur in Cuttack and Puri, Dhal said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket