Brown sugar worth Rs 5 crore seized from Cuttack
Cuttack: In a major haul, excise sleuths
on Wednesday seized around five kg of brown sugar from two locations here and also arrested two persons.
The cost of the seized brown sugar in international
market is pegged at Rs five crore, Cuttack excise
superintendent Barendranath Dhal said.
Tracking brown sugar dealer Sivaji Patel for last
several days, the sleuths raided his house at Khan Nagar in
the city and seized about 4.82 kg of brown sugar kept in two
jars inside a box.
After his interrogation, the sleuths raided the house
of another dealer Biswajit Dutt in Rajendra Nagar of the city
and found 80 gms of brown sugar from his possession.
Both Patel and Dutt were arrested and forwarded to a
court from where they were remanded in jail custody, Dhal
informed adding that this was perhaps the biggest haul of
brown sugar in the state.
Patel, a marble dealer, later started trading brown
sugar procuring the contraband from Rajasthan.
After receiving the consignment in Cuttack, Patel used
to distribute them among his associates in Chhatia,
Chandikhol, Gopalpur in Cuttack and Puri, Dhal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues