BSF, Odisha Police ask personnel to be careful
Bhubaneswar: A day after four BSF personnel were killed and two others injured in a Maoist ambush in Koraput district, police on Wednesday denied there was any violation of SOP.
"As such there is no SOP (standard operating procedure). There are certain guidelines. But, if one tries to go by them, a jawan cannot move an inch," a senior IPS officer engaged in anti-Maoist operation said.
"The ambush took place on a National Highway. Was it possible to check the entire NH before force movement" the officer asked, claiming there was no violation of guideline.
The police and BSF authorities decided to further strengthen their intelligence network besides asking personnel engaged in anti-naxal operation to be "careful" about such attacks.
The decision was taken when BSF Director General Subhash Joshi visited Koraput to motivate the personnel engaged in anti-Maoist operation in Koraput and Malkangiri districts of the state.
"If one goes on checking the routes for landmines from Malkangiri to Koraput, it will require at least three days to cover a distance below 100 km," said Gopal Nanda, a former director general of police in Odisha.
At least five BSF battalions have been deployed in different places of Koraput and Malkangiri districts, two worst Maoist affected areas of the state.
Stating that one has to take risk in war against Maoists, Nanda said "Accidents will take place. Forces fighting in the field need to be careful and cautious while moving in Maoist-hit areas.
Meanwhile, the police have detained five persons for interrogation.
"The Odisha Police, CRPF and BSF have intensified combing operation and chasing the Maoists in the region where the ambush took place," said Additional Director General (intelligence) Abhay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre