Bus service to begin soon in Berhampur
Berhampur (Odisha): City bus service in Berhampur and its adjoining towns in Ganjam district of Odisha will soon become a reality as the government has sanctioned Rs five crore and formed a special purpose vehicle (SPV) for facilitating the much awaited transport project.
Ganjam Urban Transport Services Limited (GUTSL), the SPV, has been formed under the chairmanship of the district collector. Commissioner, Berhampur Municipal Corporation (BMC) is its chief executive officer and other members are chairman, Berhampur Development Authority (BDA) and chairpersons of Hinjili, Gopalpur and Chhatrapur NACs.
While the development authority and the civic body would have 40 per cent share each in the SPV, state-owned Odisha State Road Transport Corporation (OSRTC), Chhatrapur, Gopalpur and Hinjili NACs would have five per cent share each, officials sources said.
"The government has sanctioned Rs five crore for operation of the city bus service in the town", Ganjam district Collector Krishan Kumar said.
It would start operation after finalisation of a private party to operate and maintain the fleet, said an official. The process is likely to take about three to four months, he said.
The development authority approved the projects at a meeting held here last week. "At least 28 buses, including three air-conditioned ones, will operate initially. The expression of interest (EOI) will be floated soon to select the private party to operate the service", said chairman of the development authority Kailash Rana. He said the urban body is in the process of identifying spots for parking and stoppage points of buses.
At present, there is no bus service from Berhampur to Gopalpur and Chhatrapur. The passengers are depending on taxis and other modes to travel. Gopalpur is a beach tourist town while Chhatrapur is the district headquarters town. Similarly, Hinjili is a growing business hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly