Businessman shot dead in highway robbery in Odisha
Cuttack: A businessman was looted and shot dead at a place between Chandikhol and Tangi stretch of National Highway-5 in Cuttack district of Odisha, police said on Thursday.
According to police, 45-year-old businessman Pravat Acharya of Mahanga was on his way to Cuttack Malgodown in his van yesterday when four unidentified persons intercepted him near Baichuan under Tangi police station around 11 am.
Police said Acharya`s driver in his complaint said the looters came in two motor-cycles and stopped their vehicle.
One of the looters brandishing a revolver snatched a cash bag from Acharya after assaulting his driver.
Police inquest maintains that Acharya has received a gunshot injury in his lower abdomen while there are bruises in his hand and head suspecting that a scuffle had ensued. While the driver claims that the looters have decamped with the cash bag containing Rs three lakh, police have recovered Rs 50,000 from Acharya?s trouser pocket.
Family sources said Acharya, who deals with grocery item wholesaling, was travelling to Cuttack to make purchases of grocery items.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown