Can`t wait for passage of bill in Parl: Orissa
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government on Monday said it
cannot stop developmental activities at Posco`s proposed steel
plant site and wait for passage of the Land Acquisition (LA)
Act in the Parliament.
This was stated by Revenue and Disaster Management
Minister S N Patro while responding to a question on
opposition BJP`s demand for a halt to land acquisition for
Posco`s proposed mega steel plant near Paradip.
BJP leader and former revenue minister B B Harichandan
had demanded a halt to land acquisition at Posco`s proposed
plant site till passage of the LA bill, scheduled to be tabled
in the coming session of the Parliament.
The project affected people would get maximum benefit
after passage of the new LA Act, Harichandan said, adding
the state government must stop in the interest of the people.
Patro, however, said he had been hearing about LA Act for
last four years. "Is there any guarantee that the Bill for the
purpose will be passed this time," the minister asked, adding
developmental activities cannot be stopped.
He, however, said the state government would certainly
ensure that the affected people get maximum benefit after the
LA Act come into force.
Meanwhile, a report from Paradip said Jagatsinghpur
district administration along with officials of Industrial
Development and Infrastructure Corporation (IDCO) continued
tree felling at the proposed Posco project area near Paradip
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi