CB to begin probe into elephant poaching cases
Bhubaneswar: The crime branch of Odisha Police will start probe into the poaching of elephants allegedly by organised rackets at different parts of the state, official sources said.
"We have already received an order from the state government to start probe into the matter. The CB have set up contact with authorities of Similipal Nataionl Park. A team of officers will leave for Similipal in a couple of days," Additional Director General (crime) B K Sharma told PTI.
Sharma, part of the CBI probe into the infamous tiger deaths at Sariska in Rajasthan over five years ago, said the state crime branch had the experience of probing into certain wildlife poaching cases in 2007.
The state government this time handed over probe in three poaching cases to the crime branch, one relating to the death of two pachyderms at Balikhal in Similipal Biosphere Reserve in November 2011 and one case each pertaining to Kuldiha and Satkosia wildlife sanctuaries.
"We decided to hand over the probe to CB into the alleged involvement of organised syndicate in the elephent poaching case, if any," Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (wildlife) J D Sharma said.
Though the state government claims that population of elephants have increased from 1,886 in 2010 to 1,930 in 2012, it is miffed over heavy elephant?casualty?owing to poaching, electrocution and other reasons in the state.
While 51 elephants died in 2009-10, the pachyderm casualty in 2010-11 and 2011-12 was 83 and 66 respectively. In 2012-13, at least 21 elephants perished, officials said.
The state government was also planning to have a multi-disciplinary team involving police and forest officers to focus on major wildlife cases, track poachers and improve surveillance activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery